Many people might think moving is stressful, but packing your things can be just as, if not more stressful than moving day. After all, trying to fit all your life’s possessions into a trailer full of boxes is no easy task. Which is why a lot of people say things to us like, “I’m looking forward to moving, but I forgot how much I hate packing.”
Fortunately, our 100+ years of moving experience have taught us what works and what doesn’t when it comes to packing up your belongings.
Before you start packing, make sure you have the following packing supplies on-hand and ready to use.
- Packing boxes/cartons
- Packing paper (Sorry, we’re allergic to packing peanuts.)
- Packing tape
- Chisel-tip or felt-tip markers (A hotly debated topic among calligraphers.)
When packing up the things in your bedroom, make sure to:
- Leave your clothes on hangers and pack them into a wardrobe carton so they arrive wrinkle-free and ready to hang. Each wardrobe carton holds about two feet of compressed clothing on hangers. If you’re not using wardrobe cartons, remove your clothes from the hangers and fold and place them in a carton lined with packing paper.
- Fold and place bedding and linens such as pillowcases, sheets, and towels into a carton lined with packing paper.
- Wrap small appliances and electronics such as alarm clocks or radios individually and pack them in a carton lined with crushed packing paper.
- Pack books with the spine down and the open side facing up. Because large cartons of books can be very heavy, (if you don’t believe us, try lifting a big box full sometime), pack your books in small cartons so they’re easier to carry.
- Wrap any framed photos individually with packing paper and stand them on edge in the carton. Make sure the carton is packed tightly and that any extra gaps or spaces are filled with packing paper to keep the photo frames from shifting during the move.
- Pack your mattress in a specially designed mattress carton, (just ask us for one), to protect your mattress from dirt and damage during the move.
- Take any irreplaceable items like family heirlooms, personal keepsakes, or mementos with you in your vehicle to your destination.
Good packing is essential to a stress-free move. By following our list of packing instructions listed above, you can be sure that your valuables will remain, well, valuable during your relocation.
Our team of experienced professional movers can also pack, load, and transport all or any of your belongings so you don’t have to.
Contact us today to request an estimate or more information about any of our moving services.